Parish of St Pierre du Bois
St Pierre du Bois – sometimes known as St Peter in the Wood – takes in much of the south-west of the island and borders the parishes of Torteval, St. Saviour's, Forest and St. Andrew. The parish is mainly countryside with a small village in the centre. Its church is one of the most unusual in the islands as it is built at the bottom of a small valley – the interior of the church is not flat but diagonal in appearance ,the interior of the church rising up-hill, so brides literally walk ‘up’ the aisle. The coastline includes Fort Saumarez, L'Erée, Lihou and Rocquaine Bay.
The old Guernsey nickname for people from St Pierre was etcherbaots which means beetles.
The Prosperity Memorial sits on the Lihou headland. It remembers the 18 sailors who lost their lives in 1943 when their ship sank in rough seas.
Fort Grey, also known as the cup and saucer was built in 1804 to defend Guernsey against the French. It was manned during both world wars and served as an anti-aircraft position during the Occupation and is one of three pre Martello towers in Guernsey.
Links to Fort Grey:
Fort Grey Shipwreck Museum
History of Fort Grey
Features of the parish also include:
Creux es Faies
History of St Pierre Du Bois - Extracts from “St Pierre du Bois - The Story of a Guernsey parish and its people” by Marie De Garis
La Longue Rocque
Lihou – a small island you can walk to at low tide – Google map Lihou island website
St Peter’s Parish Church
St Pierre du Bois Floral Guernsey
St Peter Port
St Pierre du Bois