Parish of Forest
The parish takes its name from the stretches of land that were once covered by trees. Forest is the highest parish on the island, with altitudes of up to about 100 metres. The South coast is mostly made up of cliffs. Beaches in Forest include Portlet (Inaccessible from land; you have to swim to it from Petit Bôt or go by boat) and Part of Petit Bôt.
The island’s only airport is in Forest. Opened in 1939, it was used by the invading Germans in world war two. The old terminal was demolished and a new airport was opened in 2004.
The Parish church is St Marguerite de la Forest and is the island’s smallest. The first section constructed was the south-east corner, which incorporates large stones that were once part of a dolmen. The church was built in two parts, a 13th century nave and additions in 15th century. Interestingly the church once had two entrances, one for men and one for women. The Forest Church is built on an area that contains neolithic tombs and standing stones.
Captain William Le Lacheur, a Forest parishioner rose from a farm boy to the owner of a large shipping line. A house in the Parish, demolished during World War II, was once home to Thomas da la Rue (1793 – 1866).
Features of the Forest include:
St Peter Port
St Pierre du Bois