Parish of St Martin
The south-eastern parish of St. Martin’s features some of the island’s finest coastal scenery and beaches. St. Martin is located in the southeast. The parish borders Forest on the southwest, St. Andrew northwest and St. Peter Port on the northeast. Some of the best beaches in the parish are located in the parish; Fermain, Moulin Huet and Saints Bay.
During a visit to Guernsey in the 1880’s, French Impressionist Renoir spent many hours capturing the rugged rocky scenery of Moulin Huet Bay. Sausmarez Manor is the island’s best known stately home.
St Martin’s Parish Church dates back to the 13th century. Its gateway is guarded by La Gran’mere du chimquiere (‘the grandmother of the century’), a female figure carved into a standing stone dating back several thousand years. Couple’s getting married traditionally place garlands around her neck for good luck.
A popular St Martin High Street Business is Valpy. It began as a hardware store at the bottom of School Land in 1900. Today it is located in a much larger building combining hardware with maintenance and securing of domestic electric appliances.
Features of St Martin’s include:
St Peter Port
St Pierre du Bois